Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tasting Week 8: Yellow Tail Merlot

Variety: Merlot
Region: South Eastern Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2010
Price: $5.95
Food?: Not paired with food.






Winery Review:
Yellow tail is everything a great wine should be.  It's approachable, fresh, flavorsome, and has a personality all of its own.  Flavors:  Ripe plums with a warm touch of spice.  Enjoy with antipasto, good times, and great friends. 

My Review:
BRING ME A LAMB PITA.  Black-red in color, the first thing that comes to mind when sniffing this wine is Kalamatra Olives.  I happen to be a huge fan of greek food/olives, so this wine seems promising.  The balsamic-y, olive flavor carries over to the mid palate, where it meets some dark berry flavors towards the end palate.  I could imagine pairing this wine with some greek flared food, to perhaps bring out the fruitier notes.  Dare I say, not bad for a "mass produced" wine?  I can see why this Australian Wine has such a wide appeal across the pond.  I would classify this wine as the more acidic, spicier of the Merlots, but honestly one of my favorites so far.  Definitely a surprise, but I would absolutely love to try and cook with this wine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment