Sunday, April 8, 2012

Tasting Week 11: Varas Vinho Tinto (The First Boxed Wine?!)

Variety: Blended
Region: Lisbon
Country: Portugal
Year: N/A
Price: $21.95 ($5.49/Bottle) 
Food?: Not Paired with Food.




 

Winery Review: 
This smooth Portuguese red is a blend of Castelao (45%), Tinta Ririz (25%), Tinta Barroca (20%) and Pinot Noir (10%.)  The vineyards are located near Lisbon, planted in sunny gentle slopes of clay and limestone soils.  The wine was aged in oak barrels.

My Review:
I was excited to taste my very first (I think!) boxed wine of the tastings.  Bright cherry on the nose, this deep red featured strong cherry and Earth notes on the palate.  Decently balanced, I found this red to be a little thin, with some medicinal bitterness towards the end-palate.  Not my favorite red of the tasting, but certainly not the worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment